Tending to my garden and my life; nurturing each day to see what unfolds.

Monday, July 6, 2009

What a Day

What a day the Fourth of July turned out to be. It was a day of relaxation and celebrating the country's birithday with friends and family. Since my family is in Oklahoma I celebrated with my friend Lisa and her family.


The day started out nice. It was cool enough to make being outside not only bareable but also enjoyable. I would happily have all of July stay in the mid 70's!



I took the dogs with me, so that they could run around in the country, jumping in the river and pond and chasing pesky varmits around without the worry of the dog catchers or cars. They enjoyed every minute of this frolic and fun.




Maybe they enjoyed the river a little too much. I was just glad that there was plenty of time for them to dry off before we got back into the car to go home (Side note - it rained for most of the evening, so they never really dried off. )




Lisa and her husband, Wayne, have a nice acreage out in Harrodsburg, KY. They have about 20 head of cattle, a calf/cow operation, and Wayne has a huge vegetable garden. He showed me around his 60+ tomato plants, 2 groupings of thornless Blackberries and his new Raspberry bush. Plus the countless corn, carrots, cabbage, squash, etc. I was going to take pictures but my arms quickly were too full from carrying the bounty we plucked on our tour. There is nothing like a fresh tomato. Yum!!! I can't wait to have my own Raspberry bush, they are even better right off the bush.

Wayne was the master griller for the evening and he grilled up some delicious hamburgers and hot dogs. The rest of the buffet was just as good. I love pot luck cookouts, everyone brings their best dish. The only problem I can see is that your stomach is only so big. But if you go slow enough you can get more in, or at least that is my theory.

Luckily Wayne and Lisa have a huge back porch, so we could eat and watch the rain fall. Around 4pm the rain started and didn't want to stop. We would get short periods when nothing was falling from the sky but those were just teasers. There was concern that we wouldn't get to see the fireworks display that Wayne had set up. He wasn't going to let that happen.

When the rain let up, Wayne lit the fuse. And it was well worth the wait!









No comments:

Post a Comment