Tending to my garden and my life; nurturing each day to see what unfolds.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Junior League Horse Show

Last night I accompanied my friend Carrie to the Lexington Junior League Horse Show, which takes place at the historic Red Mile in Lexington, KY. Home to racing standardbreds. But for the next week Saddlebreds, Hackneys, and Road Horses will be sharing this track.
Carrie has really good seats right next to the rail, which at times makes one questions ones sanity. Five Gaited Saddlebreds and Road Horses move out fast and the rail is not too tall, add into the mix that these horses are big, muscular and their feet are flying. You can really get an eyefull. There were a few horses that were parked near our seats for a few seconds and I got to be eye to eye with them. I was trying to channel good and winning thoughts their way. For some it worked.
I am a horse enthusiast. I have ridden horses my entire life. I grew up on quarter horses with a Tennessee Walker and mustang thrown in the mix to keep things interesting. When I got a little older I converted to Hunters, then Eventing and Jumpers. I like speed and I love to jump. And I had a horse that loved what I loved, so we had fun.
Since moving out of my parents house and their wallet, I have been responsible for my own horses. This makes owning a horse and showing a tad tougher. Right now I am down to one retired horse and I am okay with it...for now. Each time I head to a horse show or competition, whether it is jumpers, eventing, saddlebreds, rodeo or a reining, I leave there wanting to get on a horse badly! Last night was no different. I turned to Carrie to let her know that I needed to learn how to ride a saddlebred. She just nodded, she heard me say this last year too. One day. For now I will enjoy watching the horse shows and loving on the horses I do see.
This Hackney would be fun to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment