Tending to my garden and my life; nurturing each day to see what unfolds.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mouthwatering Blueberries!

I have a wee little blueberry bush that actually produced some blueberries this year! But it was just a few handfuls. It was enough to say I have blueberries but not enough to make a pie or jam.


The first picking of 15 were added to a blueberry muffin mix I already had. And boy, oh boy, did they make a difference. Even though the mix had real blueberries that you pour from a pre-packaged can they didn't give it that blueberry zest. You know, the spreading blueish-purplish color next the the berry. But my blueberries did. And when you bit into the muffin where a fresh blueberry was, the blueberry taste was stronger.




My next two handfuls, 25 berries, I couldn't decide what to do with. Not enough for more muffins, too many for a single dessert. I could add them to pancakes, or even better make blueberry syrup. Yum! That is what I did. I didn't create anything fancy, I just poured in some fabulous Aunt Jemima syrup into a saucepan, added the blueberries and started heating it up. Once it started boiling I started stirring. It didn't take long until my homegrown blueberries were breaking down and releasing their blueberry juices where they began to mingle with the syrup.



After it was done I poured it over my french toast. I tried to be frugal with the syrup, so that it would last, but I couldn't control myself and used all of the syrup. The blueberry syrup wasn't too sweet, and I could taste the fresh blueberries. It was mouth watering, not only was my mouth watering but so was Kody's and Willow's. And they don't even like fruit!

Next year, when my blueberry bush is bigger, I hope to have a few more recipes and ideas of how to use my blueberries. There are only a few more left on the bush and I think that I will eat them with no adornment. Just thinking about them is making my mouth water. Hmm, hmm, good!

No comments:

Post a Comment