Tending to my garden and my life; nurturing each day to see what unfolds.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My Culinery Skills Might Be Lacking

There are some days that I feel like cooking and serving up a masterpiece. But those days are few and far between. I blame it on the fact that I am the only one that would be enjoying the fare that I cook. And the existing rule, "One cooks and the other cleans" doesn't apply in my household. Unless of course I want Kody or Willow to clean the dishes. They may be up for it but it wouldn't be too hygienic. And they leave spots.

What ends up happening is that I grab some cereal, a sandwich or something frozen. The less dishes I have to do the better. Unfortunately, this doesn't give me a lot of variety and at times I run out of cereal, get tired of sandwiches or don't have frozen meals. Which by the way, I have actually stopped buying because I am trying to cook more often, and it is less expensive to have fresh food then stocking up on frozen food. At least it is for me. They have a tendency to go to waste or get frostbite. Ugh! When I by fresh I use it, especially if I have a meal planned. This of course is assuming that I am cooking. I really save a lot when I don't buy anything!

I have planned a lot of meals for myself; pasta, burritos, hamburgers, chicken dishes, etc but lately because of my long hours at work I haven't been thinking about cooking. I eat what I get.

This brings me to the state of my pantry. It isn't bare, but everything in it requires some sort of imagination, which I am in sort supply of because of the aforementioned late hours or use of a lot of dishes that require cleaning. Simplicity is what I am looking for, cereal is out because the humidity made the sugar on the flakes stick together and pasta is out because, again too many pots. PB & J, anyone? Not me, I have had my share for a while.

Then brilliance struck, the light bulb went off...an egg salad sandwich. I haven't had one in forever. Still too many dishes but that doesn't matter because now I want an egg salad sandwich. Two farm fresh eggs are set to boil. After boiling, I let them set in the hot water for awhile. I stepped away to work on something else and completely forgot about the eggs. By the time I remembered I was no longer hungry and just wanted to go to bed. So my culinary creation for dinner was...(drum roll please)...a boiled EGG! On the bright side, I had less dishes to clean then if I had made egg salad.

Last night's dinner was even better, Kraft Mac N Cheese. My culinary genius just astounds me! I am going to have to do better for the Fourth of July, maybe potato salad or a pie of some sort. Hmmmmm....


P.S. Tonight I am having the other half of my Subway sandwich. No Dishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment