Tending to my garden and my life; nurturing each day to see what unfolds.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Strawberries...

This weekend was a wonderful weekend for getting out in the garden. I finally got everything into the ground. Even my barely there tomato plants. They seem to like being in the soil better than hanging out in their little grow pots. Of course, yesterday we had a downpour come through. When I checked on everything this morning they seemed no worse for the wear.

I couldn't be happier with my sunflowers. I started all of them from seed; indoors on a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag. Once they all had started their roots, I put them into the ground. About four days later, plants were popping up. Now two weeks from when I orginally put them in the ground they are stretching for the sky. This crop really has me excited. First of all I love Sunflowers, I think they are a happy plant; and secondly, they will provide seed for the birds this winter. This is an optimistic outlook, because I have a feeling that some birds might get to them before I do. Oh well, there intent is to feed the birds, either in the winter or in the summer.
Another of my crops bore fruit, literally. One of my strawberry plants gave me two small strawberries today. I was very excited and had to show everyone that sits near me at work. Then I promptly ate them as a snack, and boy were they delicious! I can't wait to get some more off of my two plants. The are Ever Bearing Strawberries, so hopefully I should have strawberries all summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment