Tending to my garden and my life; nurturing each day to see what unfolds.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Starlings

It seems that Starlings are everywhere! They are a pretty bird and I was completly enamored of them...at least up until a few days ago. It seems that I have a Starling nest at the top of one of my trees and the daddy is very, and I mean very, protective.


I have noticed that every time one of my cats, Jackson, goes outside that there was endless bird chatter. Jackson has been known to take a few birds out but lately he has been less adventurous in his captures, so I immediatly wonder what Jackson is doing to this poor bird. When I stepped outside, I see that Jackson is just laying on the walkway cleaning himself and a bird is on a branch on the nearest tree just giving him what for. Jackson looks completely undisturbed, but the bird is having major issues.

Okay, so the bird doesn't like Jackson, not many birds do. As I turn to walk back into the house I see this bird dive bomb Jackson as he sits there. He misses and Jackson doesn't flinch, which says to me that this has been going on for awhile. My first thought I what has Jackson done to this bird to tick him off so much, then my next thought is "where is the nest?" After a little seraching I find that the nest. It is on top of a tree, in the dead truck. Completely out of reach of Jackson; Jackson doesn't have front claws when a past owner decided they wanted to make a ramboncious outdoor cat and indoor cat - they lost. So Jackson does climb well, especially not a twenty feet up with no branches. But the birds don't seem to realize this.

I leave them to settle their differences. The bird, which I have found out is a Starling, feels like he is protecting his mate and their nest and I think Jackson is enjoying the fact that he is annoying the birds, because otherwise he would go in hiding and not hang out where the bird can get him.

This is going to be an interesting spring, as I watch this interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment