Tending to my garden and my life; nurturing each day to see what unfolds.

Friday, September 5, 2008

New Friends & the Quest for Ice

It seems that good food might be a theme here in Italy. If there is a bad restaurant we haven’t found it. But it is not the food that is making the experience; it is the people we have dined with.

Yesterday for lunch the trainers from Renzo Canciani’s took us to a local Pizzeria. The food was great, most of us had what we would call a Calzone. The conversation was even better. Though I sometimes did not have a clue what was being said, you can’t help but get pulled into the easy friendship and camaraderie of this group.

Laughter is a prerequisite.

The team has been welcomed with open arms. When the horses arrived there were people waiting to see them unload. Most of the afternoon before the horses came I would was answering the question, “When will they be here?”. “Due l’ora…una l’ora…trenta minuto”, the countdown had begun.

When the horses were unloaded it was like celebrities walking the red carpet. In the air was excitement and a sense of awe. I too was caught up in it. If this is the reception for the horses, I can’t wait to see the reaction when Tom, Pete, Craig and Jordan arrive.

After a good nights sleep the horses were happy to stretch their legs. Everyone seems to be in fine form and taking it in stride. Today, John, Lauren, Ryan and I are going to check out the show venue now that that the footing is in the arena. I was able to see it on my first day here and I was duly impressed. It is a wonderful venue and I can’t wait until the competition starts.

Also, have you ever noticed that when you need something you can never find it? Well, we needed ice and I couldn’t find any bags of ice. Normally the procurement of ice is easy...in the U.S.A. Run to the closet gas station and buy a bag or two. In Italy they don’t sell bags of ice. So my new daily activity is going to the bar with a plastic bag and asking the bartender to fill up the bag for me. After breakfast I ask the waiter for ice and I hand over the plastic bag. This seems to be working well. But it does teach you not to take things for granted.



Arrivederci! Til tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment