Tending to my garden and my life; nurturing each day to see what unfolds.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

San Paolo and the Arrival of the Horses



I have arrived in San Paolo, Italy.I had an interesting drive from Milan but for the most part uneventful. I only got lost once and luckily I knew what turn I took that got me lost. The one good thing about getting lost is that you get to some countryside that you may not have seen before.
I finally found the hotel, thanks to the wonderful signs that they have posted on the road. I was greeted by a superb staff and shown to my room. The hotel, OneMhotel, has a key card that not only opens your door, but turns on the lights and lowers the curtain on my car. My car, whom I am affectionately calling LuLu, has her own parking spot right outside of the door and when I insert my key card into a slot inside the room a curtain falls down behind her. It is like she has her own room.
Since arriving I have been trying to get my bearings and I find my way to the different necessary locations. Through this adventure, LuLu and I have seen some beautiful countryside and lots of small towns. We are staying in the a very agricultural area, so it is very commonplace to see a tractor going through the roundabouts as it is to see a Mercedes.
(Continued …the next day)
The horses have arrived safe and sound. After four days of traveling the U.S. Reining Team horses are now settled in their pre-competition stabling at Renzo Canciani’s in Gottolengo, Italy. Their travels started as a trailer ride to the Houston Airport, then an 8 hour flight to Amsterdam, which was followed by two days of driving through Holland, Austria, Germany and Italy to finally arrive. They were very happy to be on firm ground again.
After getting the horses settled the grooms, Ryan Kyle and Lauren Jolly, and our vet, John Newcomb decided to grab a bite with our host Renzo Canciani at a wonderful Italian restaurant in the town of Leno. All of us were enjoy Italian food but were a little stumped by the menu. It was in Italian, imagine that! We proceeded to pick our favorites and then try a new dish along with some new phrases, which we are sure to misuse. I finally got to have some Gelato, which is first thing everyone told me I needed to get when they heard I was headed to Italy. I must say I was not disappointed and will be sure to have it again, probably sooner rather than later.
Tomorrow looks to be a nice day, and hopefully no rain in the forecast. Till tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment